What to Expect at the Alameda County Fair
The 2017 Alameda County Fair was filled with ginormous food, adrenaline-packed shows, unique competitions, educational exhibits on flora and fauna, carnival ride fun, and popular music acts. I had only been to one American fair prior to this one, which was the annual California State Fair in the state’s capital of Sacramento. I’m not sure what other state fairs are like, but this one was a spectacle in my opinion. There was so much to see and do that we ended up spending 8 hours there!
I expected the County Fair, which is located in the city of Pleasanton, to be much smaller in comparison, but it really surpassed my expectations. We spent a total of 5 hours there this past Saturday and I would definitely go again.
What I Recommend Seeing at the Alameda County Fair:
- The demolition derby. I did not expect to get such a rush from watching old cars try to destroy each other. There was even a car design competition, in which the Star Wars and Captain America vehicles were the standout stars. Not sure if the bikini-clad storm troopers had something to do with the Star Wars win, but the crowd loved it.
- Agventure Park, where you’ll find the most adorable bunnies, baby chicks, and reptiles (if you’re so inclined). They have a chick hatchery on site! The indoor park serves as an educational exhibit and each animal can be purchased for cash.
- Student Art Exhibit. I was absolutely floored by the art created by Alameda County students from every grade. Some of the pieces looked like they’d been created by professionals.
General Tips for the Alameda County Fair:
- Prepare for heat! Pleasanton is located east of The Bay and is host to a completely different climate. It was over 100 degrees the day we went and the Fair provides minimal shade. We were luckily able to bring unopened water bottles into the event.
- Bring at least $10 cash for parking there. Parking at Safeway down the street for the Fair is prohibited.
- One ginormous food item is enough for 2 people. Trust me.
The Alameda County Fair in Pictures:
Questions about the Alameda County Fair? Let me know in the comments below!