9 Days in Bali
I don’t think I’ve had a more diverse vacation than the one I had on the magical island of Bali. From the end of August to early September, my boyfriend and I traversed 3 locations on the popular destination and fit numerous activities into a week and a half that we were told should be reserved for 3 weeks. It was 9 days of discovering rich Balinese culture, delicious food, lively markets, and dreamlike beaches. I was hoping to fit our experience into one blog post, but have so much to say that I’ve written separate posts on food and shopping. Here is a summary of our wonderful stay that will hopefully help future Bali travelers in their vacation planning…
- Balangan Beach! This secret beach is so secluded that it feels like you have your own private oasis. Sit on the patio of one of the raised beach cafes and watch the surfers do their thing.
- Have a drink at the famous Rock Bar overlooking the Indian Ocean at Ayana Resort (walking down vs waiting for the tram will save you a lot of time!).
- Check out the giant statues at GWK Cultural Park.
Tip: If you have enough money, hire a driver to take you everywhere. We rented a motorbike for 2 days and while it was a great, new experience, I worried for our lives every time we crossed an intersection. Risky business!
- The Sacred Fountains (Pura Tirta Empul) outside Ubud was an uplifting – and almost out of body – experience I’ll never forget. Surrounded by fish and ancient ruins, the site really gave me some perspective.
- Sacred Monkey Forest – it’s true what people tell you: those monkeys are naughty! Keep you bags closed, ladies!
- Get a massage or mani/pedi at Pertenin Spa – great customer service and atmosphere and excellent bang for your buck.
Tips: Take advantage of all of the restaurants’ 2 for 1 Happy Hour drink deals and be sure to bargain at all the local markets! I got dresses and tops for $2 each.
- Grab some cheap Bintang beers and watch the sunset and surfers on the beach.
- Eat at one of the outdoor BBQ places at Echo Beach.
- Surf at Berawa Beach.
Tip: Looking for a relaxing experience? Learn from us and stay more than 2 nights!